• Sat. Aug 13th, 2022

Get a Demolition Contractor License | Services

ByDeborah C. Lowery

Nov 18, 2021

Service overview

You must be a licensed demolition contractor to knock down or demolish a building.

There are two categories of licenses:

  • Class A allows the complete demolition of any structure.
  • Class B allows the complete demolition of a building that is:
    • No more than three floors,
    • With a maximum height of 40 feet, and
    • With a maximum area of ​​10,000 square feet.

This license is not required for interior or partial demolition. This work may be performed under other contractor licenses.

The Department of Licensing and Inspections (L&I) issues this license.


Individual entrepreneurs can apply for this license.


Other licenses and registrations


You must provide a certificate of insurance that includes these minimum amounts:

  • General liability: $2,000,000 per occurrence
  • Motor vehicle liability insurance: $300,000
  • Workers’ compensation:
    • $100,000 per accident
    • $100,000 per employee
    • $500,000 policy limit

The City of Philadelphia must be named as Additional Insured and Certificate Holder.

License deposit

  • Class A: Provide a $50,000 license bond with an original seal.
  • Class B: Provide a $10,000 license bond with an original seal.

This bond must be issued by a surety company. The surety company must hold a Certificate of Authorization to do business in Pennsylvania, with a minimum surety underwriting limit of $1,000,000.

Appointed safety manager of the demolition site

You must identify at least one manager who ensures safe practices on demolition sites and compliance with the approved site safety plan. For this person, you must submit:

A site safety manager can only be employed by one company.

Appointed demolition supervisor

You should identify at least one supervisor responsible for developing site security plans. For this person, you must submit:

  • Proof of passing the Philadelphia Demolition Contractor Exam (Class A or Class B). This exam is administered by the International Code Council.

The exam must reference the current version of the Philadelphia Code and associated standards or your application must be submitted within 12 months of passing the exam.

  • Proof of employment by pay stub or W-2.

A demolition supervisor can only be employed by one company.

Additional Requirements for Class A Demolition Contractors

You must present proof of three years of experience in the field of demolition as a site safety manager and demolition supervisor. The work history must be documented by:

  • Federal tax records indicating employment in the field under the direction of a demolition contractor.
  • CV identifying specific work experience.

If you hold a comparable license or have performed a major demolition in another state or county, L&I will review your license or company profile to determine if you meet the minimum standards for a Class A demolition contractor.

Tax compliance

You must be current on all taxes for the city of Philadelphia.

Where and when


License fee


A non-refundable application fee of $20 is applied to license fees. The balance of license fees is due once your application has been approved.

Renewal fees


If you renew your license more than 60 days after the expiration date, you will be charged 1.5% of the license fee for each month since the license expired.

Payment methods and details

Payment methods accepted

Where accepted payment
Online via the eCLIPSE app

(There is a $200,000 limit for online payments.)

  • electronic check
  • Credit card (+2.25% surcharge)
In person at the Permit and License Center of the Municipal Services Building
  • electronic check
  • Credit card (+2.25% surcharge)
In person at the cashier station in the municipal services building

(Items paid for at the cashier station will be posted within five working days.)

  • Check
  • Money order
  • Credit card (+2.25% surcharge)
  • Cash

Checks and money orders

Check requirements
  • Make all checks and money orders payable to “City of Philadelphia”.
  • The person or company listed on the check must be listed on the application.
  • Personal checks are accepted.
  • Checks and money orders must have issue dates within 12 months of the transaction.
Reasons your check may be bounced

L&I will not accept checks that are missing deposit information or are:

  • Unsigned.
  • Expired.
  • Postdated.
  • Startup checks without account information.

Payment Return Policy

If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncashed funds:

  1. A $20 fee will be charged for collection.
  2. You authorize the City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic funds transfer from your account to collect these fees directly.
  3. The City of Philadelphia or its agent may electronically resubmit your check to your depository institution for payment.
  4. If the City is unable to obtain payment, the license, permit or appeal application will be cancelled.
  5. You cannot take any further action under a permit until you have paid all fees.
  6. The permit or license will be revoked if unpaid fees are not paid within 30 days.
  7. You cannot file or obtain additional permits until you resolve the outstanding debt.

Late license payment

If you renew your license more than 60 days after the expiration date, you will be charged 1.5% of the license fee for each month since the license expired.


You can request this license online using eclipse or in person at the Permits and Licenses Centre.


Upload all required documents.

Applications are reviewed within five business days.


If the request is approved, you will receive a notice of payment of the balance.

If the request is not approved, you will receive an email indicating what is missing or required.


Visit the Permits and Licenses Center.

L&I can review most requests while you wait.


L&I will issue your license or request more information.

Renewal requirements

This license must be renewed annually. You can renew online through eCLIPSE or in person at the Permits and License Center.

To renew your permit, you must:

  • Be up to date on all taxes in the city of Philadelphia.
  • Have proof of active insurance.
  • Have eligible supervisor information on file for L&I.
    • The supervisor must maintain a current OSHA 30 safety training certificate. If L&I has already accepted an OSHA 30 Construction and Supervisor Safety certificate, they may take 30 hours of construction or demolition continuing education credits instead of retaking the OSHA 30 course.

Source link